Code of conduct
The level of confidence our clients place in the integrity of our representatives is a significant measure of our success. To maintain your trust, we implement a values-based culture across all levels of NBB. Our Code of Conduct serves to guide the actions and decision of every member of our team.
For Members of the Board of Directors and Senior Management
- The members of the Board of Directors and the members of the senior management team should be of high integrity, honest and ethical in conducting their duties and responsibilities.
- Board members and senior management should always respect, abide by and comply with laws and regulations relating to the activities of the Bank. The Board members and senior management should always ensure their commitment to adopting and adhering to industry best practice standards and laws governing the countries in which the Bank operates in. This would require adherence to laws and regulations of stock exchange authorities, financial regulatory institutions, International Accounting and Disclosure Standards for reporting of financial statements, labour laws and commercial laws as applicable.
- Board members and senior management should maintain and preserve the confidentiality of the Bank’s affairs including the affairs of the customers and other stakeholders even after resigning their posts unless required to do so by the law.
- Board members and senior management should avoid conflict of interest in all their dealings with the Bank. Their dealings with the Bank should be transparent at all times and they should disclose the necessary information in this regard, if required. The Board members and senior management should also absent themselves from decision making on areas/subjects/transactions where they may have a vested interest or perceived conflict of interest. Board members and senior management should declare to the Board of their other interests and activities in other enterprises, if any, (whether as a shareholder of above 5% of the voting capital of the company, as a manager, or other form of significant participation) on an annual basis.
- Board members and senior management should abide and fully comply with the Insider Trading rules and regulations. Board members and senior management should comply with all disclosure requirements in this regard.
- No member of the Board or senior management should accept any gifts, favors, service of any kind from customers, suppliers or the Bank’s other stakeholders in return for favors of any kind such as facilitating or approving loans, credit facilities, favorable pricing etc.
- Board members and senior management should conduct their duties for the best interests of the Bank and its stakeholders and should not engage in activities that compete with the Bank’s business activities. The Board members and senior management should at all times conduct themselves keeping in mind the objectives of the Bank and the Bank’s responsibilities to its customers, shareholders, staff and the wider community in which it operates in.
- Board members and senior management should abide by the Bank’s policy, its rules and its regulations and should act in accordance with the authorities granted to them by the shareholders/Board of Directors.
- Board members and senior management should ensure that proper judgment is exercised whenever a decision is taken with regard to approving credit facilities, investments, capital expenditure etc by ensuring that the necessary information has been obtained and where expert opinion or advice is required, such opinion or advice should be obtained.
- Board members and senior management should ensure that the Bank is governed and managed in a transparent manner with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- The Board members and senior management should encourage adherence to good employment practices in areas of hiring, work conditions, equal opportunities, grievance redressal, promotion policies and remuneration policies.
- The Board members and senior management should not use their position in the Bank that results in misuse of the Bank’s assets for their personal gain.