Preserving Natural Resources
To be conscious about our environmental footprint and integrate a responsible conduct within our operations
- Significantly improve our environmental performance, including taking action to mitigate climate change and minimise our environmental impact
Select Key Achievements
Direct Environmental Footprint
- Investments made in more environmentally friendly systems
- Revamped recycling efforts of all paper and plastic waste
- Due to COVID outbreak and reduction of operating branches as well as number of staff working from home, NBB deployed certain measures in 2021 that had resulted in reduction of fuel consumption from NBB fleet. This has subsequently resulted in the CO2 emission on a year to year basis.
- NBB also managed to digitalize most of its operations which has resulted in reduction of number of trips per NBB branch.
- Raised public awareness on Earth Hour with the launch of ‘Think Future’ Sustainability Campaign
- Raised public awareness on Earth Day
- Raised public awareness on World Environment Day
- Raised public awareness on World Nature Conservation Day
- Announced our commitment to installing solar panels on selected NBB branches
- Launched new personal loans product for solar panels
- The bank has entered into an agreement with a reputable e-waste service provider in the Kingdom of Bahrain that is approved by the Supreme Council for Environment to collect and dispose all e-waste items collected from NBB premises.
Atmospheric Emissions Related to Energy Consumption
Based on the graphs above and using calculations stated in ISO 14064:2018 Standard Specification with guidance at the organization level for quantification and reporting of greenhouse gas emissions and removals.
Material & Waste Consumption
|General Waste (old & new tower)||6 months ending June 2021|
|Total waste collected (KG)||
|Materials Consumption and Waste||2020||6 months ending June 2021||Target|
|Total Paper Consumption (paper count)||4,311,040||1,538,450||We aim to reduce the paper consumption by 5% in 2022|
|% of Paper recycled||Data unavailable||8.4*||We aim to increase recycled waste by 20% in 2023|
|Total paper consumption (KG)||Data unavailable||7,663||We aim to reduce the paper consumption by 5% in 2022|
|Total paper recycled (KG)||Data unavailable||647*||We aim to increase recycled waste by 20% in 2023|
|Plastics recycled (KG)||Data unavailable||68.8*|
|E-Waste recycled(KG)||Data unavailable||This initiative will commence in Q4 2021|
*March 2021 onwards
*Diesel is used when conducting on-load emergency generator test that is usually scheduled in Q3 each year
*consumption includes areas occupied by tenants since the bank has one main meter per building
** excluding the branches
To date, we have managed to recycle 6,910 Kgs out of 26,240 Kgs collected.